The atonement is such a part of the gospel and something I believe that we really have to stop and think about...what does it mean?
What does it mean to me, well first off I know without the atonement I wouldn't be able to live with my Heavenly Father again. The atonement means that I am covered, and it's only through the atonement that I'm able to be perfected in the things that I do. In Brad Wilcox's talk he says a few things that have made me appreciate the atonement more, one of those things is that Christ doesn't make up the difference, Christ makes ALL the difference. This statement goes hand in hand with John's talk in which he talks and explains that sometimes as members of the church sometimes we believe that we save ourselves through works and Jesus fills in the gaps (refer to 2 N 25:23). This statement isn't true. He goes on to explain 7 scriptures to help us understand this they are....2 N 2:8; 2N 31:19; Alma 22:18: Alma 24:10: Helaman 12:13-14 Moroni 6:4; D&C 3:20.

He also talks about the temple garments, and relates it to the atonement. Recently I found a blog entry by a friend who attended a fireside given by John that where he discussed these things. I love the words that this friend shares on the things that were learned while attending. Here are a few of this friends words:
According to his talk, the word atonement was originally translated from the Hebrew word that means "to cover". Now, here's where I thought it was really cool.In the garden of Eden, Eve partook of the forbidden fruit, and Adam likewise partook of the fruit. By doing so, both were to be cast out of the Garden of Eden. Enter "Old Scratch" a.k.a. Satan. Satan, knowing what has just occurred, tells Adam and Eve to hide and "cover" themselves because God will see their nakedness and won't like it. So, Adam and Eve freak out and grab a bunch of fig leaves and make coverings for themselves.Enter God. God asks Adam what has happened (even though He already knows, but He creates a learning opportunity for Adam). Adam explains what happened and then God talks about coats of skins to "cover" Adam and Eve. Garment are the coats of skins that were made to "cover" Adam and Eve. But, you might ask yourself, "Where did these coats come from if there was no death until after the Fall of Adam?" Well, John Bytheway suggested that there was an animal sacrifice made (probably a lamb) to obtain the coats of skin for Adam and Eve... symbolic of the "covering" of our sins by the Savior a.k.a "The Lamb of God".
What does this teach us? Well, I notice that Satan told Adam and Eve to "cover" themselves. Well, we know that this, like all of Satan's other suggestions, is a lie. We cannot cover ourselves from the blood and sins of this world. No matter what we do, we cannot hide or "cover" our sins from God. The only possible "covering" we could hope to obtain is through the Savior. God has provided the world with His only-begotten son, to "cover" or atone for our sins if we will just repent. Every time we put on our garments, it's a reminder that the Savior has "covered" for us, so to speak.
Throughout the past few weeks as I have studied these things, my appreciation for not only the atonement of my Savior but also for this friend and the simple words that were shared. Each has helped me to grow and help in sharing all it is that I know and my love for the gospel.
I am very grateful for my membership in the Church, for the atonement of my Savior, that he love me enough to cover me. I am thankful for the temple and all of the things that I have been able to learn through attending. Some of my favorite times are ones spent in the temple, where I have learned or been reminded of the simple truths.
I am very grateful for my family both my immediate family and the family that has adopted me into there and allowed me the opportunity to not just watch there children but be a part of all family activities. I have learned so much from both of them.
I am thankful for my friends and all of the things that they teach me. I am grateful for a living prophet who lie and and guides us. I know that Joseph Smith saw God the Father and his son in the sacred grove and that the priesthood was restored to the earth again, that Joseph Smith did translate the Book of Mormon. My membership in the church means everything to me and my life has been so blessed because of it. I hope that we all can remember who we are and what the atonement means.
No comments:
Post a Comment